Scuba Diving: Up close and Personal with Samal’s Rich Marine Life

I’ve spent last week battling against deadly deadlines of grades and all that jazz, straining myself the energy I should have reserved for whatever laag I could encounter during the sem break. And when I finally cleared myself from the moral obligation of being a teacher, I put on my old “laagan” self and decided to treat myself on the weekend. And what better way to celebrate the end of my two-month-suppressed social life than committing into an outdoor activity I should have had some two years ago: SCUBA DIVING! Alright!

Photo credit to wayph.com


Photo credit to Carabao Dive Center 
and the photographer (www.scubadavao.com)

My former office mates arranged a scuba diving activity some two weeks ago but I wasn’t able to come along because I got terribly busy. Good thing Michelle, a good friend and self-proclaimed water addict, hadn’t got enough of their first scuba diving try that she organized another one last weekend. And that, friends and countrymen, led to my first underwater encounter with Samal’s very own set of rich marine life!

There were 6 six of us who decided to scuba dive; 4 of us were “intro divers” (that’s what you call first-timers, by the way, and that included me) and 2 non first-timers.  We met at the Carabao Dive Center near Sta. Ana Wharf at around 7:30 am, where the rest of the peepz from different groups who were scheduled to join the island hopping/scuba diving activity gathered.

The Carabao Dive Center Diver’s Choice has earned a reputation for being one of Davao’s best dive centers to go to should you want to try scuba diving and island hopping. Owned by Richard “Dick” Hurlbut, the Carabao Dive Center has been around since 2006 and prides to have all certified divers as their dive guides.

As we began the island hopping, a diving guide oriented us with the do’s and dont’s of diving and explained to us the different hand gestures that you are going to use to communicate while you are underwater.

The first diving spot was the Coral Garden located at Talikud Island, Samal. While waiting for our turn to go underwater, I and my friends did some snorkeling and swimming (thanks to snorkeling gears and life vests, non swimmers like me enjoyed the sun and the sea!). After quite some time, it was finally our turn to go diving! I was both excited and paralyzed at the sight of tanks and at the idea of going deep under. But my diving guide was cool and friendly; he was teaching me breathing exercises before we went down! Haha!

Breathing exercises first before we officially went down under :)

And off we went. You wouldn't notice that you’re going deeper each time because you find yourself fascinated by the beauty of Samal’s rich marine life. From coral reefs of different forms and textures to fishes of various colors and sizes – you find them all here co-existing in such peace and quiet. You are nothing but a visitor in this underwater paradise.

Dodong found Nemo!

I don't recognize myself with the face mask on :)) It's a pity those
small fish were so far from the camera.


AND MORE!!!!!


For every school of fish that came in view and every coral I came to touch, I can’t help but be amazed at how God has been so generous in putting these amazing creatures at Davao’s waters.

The dive lasted up to 30 minutes, but 30 minutes seemed too short when you’re already down there. But it’s all worth it; you’ll also have some photo ops underwater, which I strongly believe are for bragging purposes. LOL!

The package costs P850 per head if you’ll go diving plus island hopping, and P350 only for island hopping. We had our stopover at Babusanta resort then headed to another diving spot, at Angel’s Cove, where the second batch of divers had their dip. Of course, being the water maniacs that we are, we had some snorkeling again at the site, where a great view of corals and fishes never failed us.


Photo credit to Carabao Dive Center 
and the photographer (www.scubadavao.com)
Photo credit to Carabao Dive Center 
and the photographer (www.scubadavao.com)
At around 3-4 pm, we sailed back to Carabao Dive Center, where we retrieved the photos (for free!!!!) that were taken of us while diving! Cool, isn’t it? They also offer different packages for island hopping, with boat rates ranging from P6,500 – P12,500, depending on the number of sites that you choose to go to.

And that was my first ever diving experience! My skin went a little red from sun exposure and my abs (absss?????!!!!) ached a bit, but all these physical toll were nothing compared to the bliss and experience you acquired afterwards. Scuba diving was indeed a great way to pay myself some personal long overdue debt. J

With Carabao Dive Center's owner, Dick Hurlbut


If you want to experience Samal’s underwater wealth for yourself, go visit the friendly guys of Carabao Dive Center at Doors 1 & 2 F. Hermanos Bldg., Sta. Ana Wharf, Monteverde St., Davao City and book a reservation!

Or you can contact the following numbers and look for John Neri, the center’s Manager and SDI Dive Instructor:
(+6382) 222.0121
(+6382) 300.1092

09285047642 or 09228610874

Till my next post!

Tweet

Labels: , , , , ,